HAPPENING AT MANATEE UU FELLOWSHIP (MUUF) www.manateeuuf.org
This page refreshes every Thursday. If you would like a copy sent to your email on Thursdays, just tell the office.
1. On Sunday, October 14, Rev. Fred Hammond will speak on “Covenantal Faith: Membership.” Music by Barbara Jensen, piano, and Dale Jensen, flute.
2. Sunday morning coffee hour ~ Thank you to the Membership/RE teams for hosting coffee hour last Sunday morning ~ preparing the coffee and snacks, setting everything out, and cleaning up afterwards. Spreading out the work between committees gives everyone a chance to participate. Make it fun! This coming Sunday, the Men’s Group and Finance Committee will have the privilege of serving. Thank you for coming forward to help when you see we need some extra hands in the kitchen. Sunday morning coffee hour is an important part of our ministry ~ to our guests and to each other. Thanks to everyone who sees a job that needs to be done and does it, without being asked. A special thanks to Cori Prout on Sunday for cleaning up and finding places to put a lot of stuff away and out of sight.
3. Want to set up a time to meet with Rev. Fred to have coffee and get to know him better? You may set up a time by going to calendly.com/fredlhammond <http://calendly.com/fredlhammond> and schedule directly a time and location that works for you. If these times do not work then you may also email directly Rev. Fred at firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange a time and location that works best for you.
4. Tomorrow, Friday, October 12, is the Share a Dish dinner. 6PM social hour, 6:30 dinner. Bring a friend and a dish to share. Following dessert, the Social Justice committee will help us all wade through the many amendments that will appear on the November 6 midterm ballot. Be informed before you vote.
5. There’s still time to join the choir! If you like to sing and can rehearse every Thursday from 6:15PM – 7:45PM, please sing with us! Questions? Call Sally Isham 561 445 1229. We especially need male voices.
6. The Social Justice Committee is continuing its call to action with Wish List Giving. During October we are collecting in-kind items (no money please) for F.E.L.T. (Feeding Empty Little Tummies). See the shopping list on the red bin in the social room and in the Sunday bulletin. The October UPDATE has details.
7. “Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.” Take time to enjoy the October Art Exhibit in the sanctuary and social room. Featured artists: Peg Green, AJ Wolff, Al Usack, and Chris MacCormack.
8. Remember: The building will be tented beginning Tuesday morning October 23 and will re-open Friday morning, October 26. Please be sure your groups are aware.
9. The ED Show is coming up fast ~ Friday, November 9. Share your talent! Be silly! Be serious! Have fun! See Ed Janz now to participate. His phone: 941-224-5066
10. Meetings/events coming up:
Thur. Oct 11 Choir rehearsal 6:15PM;
Fri. Oct 12 Share a Dish Dinner 6PM;
Sat. Oct 13 Bridge 1PM;
Tues. Oct 16 Knitting4Peace 10AM;
Thur. Oct 18 Our Daily Bread 9AM;
Thur. Oct 18 Choir rehearsal 6:15PM;
Tues. Oct 23 thru Thurs. Oct 25 building closed due to tenting.
IN AND AROUND BRADENTON
1. “Rethinking Plastic” event. Tuesday, October 16, 6PM, Selby Public Library, 1331 1st St, Sarasota.
2. “Dark Money” film examines influence of untraceable corporate money on our elections and elected officials. Film followed by panel discussion. Tuesday, October 16, 6:30PM, Fogartyville Center, 525 Kumquat Court, Sarasota.
3. Watch this space for League of Women Voters educational events: Thursday, October 18: Understanding the Amendments, Freedom Village Community Center, 2:30 pm.
4. OCCUPY Bradenton demonstrates every Saturday from 10-Noon until the mid-term election at the corner of 43rd St and Manatee Ave W. Bring a sign and join in!
5. EVERY FRIDAY Stand With Our Muslim Neighbors (Indivisible Pro-gressive) 1:15pm – 2:30pm Islamic Society of Sarasota and Bradenton, 4350 N Lockwood Ridge Rd, Sarasota. Every Friday we hold signs outside the Islamic Society of Sarasota and Bradenton during Friday prayers in a show of support for our Muslim neighbors.
6. For a list of events of Indivisible Groups in Florida’s 16th and 17th Congressional Districts go to http://fl17indivisible.com/calendar.html
UNITARIAN UNIVERSALIST ASSOCIATION (UUA) NEWS Unitarian Universalist Association | UUA.org
UUA President Rev. Susan Frederick-Gray will be coming to Florida on the weekend of Oct. 19-21 to join canvassing efforts and phone banks. For details, go to https://www.uua.org/justice/blog/2018-electoral-justice-yes-amendment-4-florida
Click on https://www.uua.org/southern for UUA Southern Region news.
Click on www.uuworld.org and read the UU World magazine online and weekly articles on various topics. Sign up for the UU World’s free email newsletter