HAPPENING AT MANATEE UU FELLOWSHIP (MUUF) www.manateeuuf.org
This page refreshes every Thursday. If you would like a copy sent to your email on Thursdays, just tell the office.
- On Sunday, August 19, Connie Goodbread, co-leader of the UUA Southern Region, will talk about the foundation, depth and heart of Unitarian Universalism, how important UUism is to the world, and how we find ourselves in a paradigm shift. Her talk is titled “Okay, Where Were We?” Music by Shirley Loebel, piano. There will be a special collection for League of Women Voters.
- Next Sunday, August 26, Rev. Gary Batey will tell us the biblical story of hungry Esau selling his birthright to brother Jacob in exchange for a bowl of soup and how that ancient story applies to our lives today. Music by Barbara Jensen, piano.
- Sunday morning coffee hour ~ Thank you to the Membership and RE teams for hosting coffee hour last Sunday morning ~ preparing the coffee and snacks, setting everything out, and cleaning up afterwards. Spreading out the work between committees gives everyone a chance to participate. Make it fun! This coming Sunday, the Men’s Group and Finance Committee will have the privilege of serving. Thank you for coming forward to help when you see we need some extra hands in the kitchen. Sunday morning coffee hour is an important part of our ministry ~ to our guests and to each other. Thanks to everyone who sees a job that needs to be done and does it, without being asked.
- Security Cameras ~ Carol Bartz and AJ Wolff have submitted the UUA Faithify grant request to cover the cost of the security cameras. The cameras are now in place.
- Publicity ~ Randy McCrea is submitting press releases about our new minister and MUUF activities to area newspapers. His articles with photos have been published, so far, by North River News and are posted on the bulletin board. Good job, Randy!
- Outdoor work update ~ Installation of a new handrail for the front steps leading to the parking lot is underway. Our gardener is removing non-native plants from the property to get things ready for mulch and new plantings. Special attention is being paid to the Memorial Garden.
- Deadline for September UPDATE articles is Monday, August 20th.
- See the New MUUF Banner on display in the sanctuary. Thank you AJ Wolff, Peg Green, and Melissa Kinder!
- Sunday, August 26th, is the deadline for inclusion in the “Splash of Color” welcoming art exhibit. Contact AJ Wolff for information. firstname.lastname@example.org
- First Saturday Film Series ~ Saturday, September 1, at 1PM in the sanctuary we will be showing the film “Before the Flood,” a documentary in which Leonardo DiCaprio travels the world to examine the effects of climate change. (95 min)
- Mark your calendar now for new minister Rev. Fred L Hammond events! Sunday, September 2nd: Rev. Hammond will be at the service, not as the speaker, but as a listener and learner. Sunday, September 9th: Rev. Hammond’s first sermon at MUUF; Friday, September 14, 6PM Share a Dish to welcome Rev. Hammond.
- Meetings/events coming up: Sat. Aug 18 Bridge 1PM; Tues. Aug 21 Knitting4Peace 10AM; Sat. Sep 1 Film “Before the Flood” 1PM; Fri. Sep 14 Share a Dish “Welcome Rev. Fred L Hammond” 6PM
IN AND AROUND BRADENTON
- ACTION TUESDAY, Bradenton Every Tuesday 8:45AM – 10:00AM Near Manatee Hospital and in front of Starbucks, Manatee Ave W & US-41, Bradenton. Indivisible Bradenton Pro-gressive leads actions every Tuesday morning.
- EVERY FRIDAY Stand With Our Muslim Neighbors (Indivisible Pro-gressive) 1:15pm – 2:30pm Islamic Society of Sarasota and Bradenton, 4350 N Lockwood Ridge Rd, Sarasota. Every Friday we hold signs outside the Islamic Society of Sarasota and Bradenton during Friday prayers in a show of support for our Muslim neighbors.
- Indivisible Bradenton Pro-gressive ~ Go to http://fl17indivisible.com/calendar.html for the list of coming events.
UNITARIAN UNIVERSALIST ASSOCIATION (UUA) NEWS
Click on https://www.uua.org/southern for UUA Southern Region news.
Click on www.uuworld.org and read the UU World magazine online and weekly articles on various topics. Sign up for the UU World’s free email newsletter.