HAPPENING AT MANATEE UU FELLOWSHIP (MUUF) www.manateeuuf.org
This page refreshes every Thursday.
On Sunday, January 14, Rodney Jones, president of Manatee County NAACP, will talk about how faith will help us get through these uncertain times. Special music by Vicki Elmore, saxophone.
2. Next Sunday, January 21, Imam Azhar Subedar will base his talk on a verse from the Quran and his belief that people of all faiths share a common duty and responsibility. The choir will sing.
3. Sunday morning coffee hour ~ Thank you to the Bridge Group and Play Reading Group for hosting coffee hour last Sunday morning ~ preparing the coffee and snacks, setting everything out, and cleaning up afterwards. Sunday morning coffee hour is an important part of our ministry ~ to our guests and to each other.Spreading out the work between committees gives everyone a chance to participate. Make it fun! This coming Sunday, the Board of Directors will have the privilege of serving.
4. Eleonora Lvov‘s piano concert was a great success last Sunday. Thank you to Ed Kobee, Leslie Roell, Linda Wilke and all who helped to make it happen. The Fellowship received over $400 as our share of the proceeds.
5. Finding the Right Ministerial Fit for our Congregation. Plan to attend the Special Meeting on Sunday,February 4, following the service to learn about our efforts to hire a full-time Developmental Minister and to vote on using reserves to fund the ministry. (Team: John Isham, Carol Bartz, Bill Hayes, Ed Kobee, Doris Sutliff and AJ Wolff).
6. The February 18 Auction is only 5 weeks away. Lists of local businesses to contact for donations are ready. Begin thinking about dinners, personal services, fun gatherings, group trips. Home-made foods and baked goods, original art, a sunset picnic on the beach, house-sitting, massages. What will you donate? The deadline is January 28 for items to be listed in the catalog. Questions: See Lorraine Berry or Carol Bartz.
7. “UU 101” is an hour long introduction of Unitarian Universalism and the history of our Manatee UU Fellowship, geared mostly to people who are considering becoming a member of MUUF. Before signing the membership book, it’s important to know about UUism as well as our own history, our leadership and governance, and the rights and responsibilities of membership. This class will meet following the service on Sunday, January 14. Please see the sign-up sheet on the table in the social room.
8. “Building Your Own Theology” is a UUA adult education program that invites participants to develop their own personal credos ~ the fundamental religious beliefs, values, and convictions that inform and direct the living of their lives. Carol Bartz and Bill Hayes will lead this course which begins Sunday, January 21 following the service. Please see the sign-up sheet on the table in the social room.
9. Remember tomorrow’s (Friday, January 12) Share a Dish dinner, 6PM. Bring a dish to share, and stay for the documentary Sonic Sea. Oceans are a sonic symphony. Sound is essential to the survival and prosperity of marine life. Man-made ocean noise is threatening this fragile world. Sonic Sea is about protecting life in our waters from the destructive effects of oceanic noise pollution. John Isham will present.lJhJoooxxxxx
10. The UUA’s “Welcoming Congregation Program” seeks to nurture ongoing dialogue between people of different sexual orientations and gender identities and to create deeper trust and sharing. The program continues this Saturday, January 13, with AJ Wolff and Joan Butcher presenting a film about an African American women’s a capellagroup called Sweet Honey in the Rock. Time: 1PM – 3PM. Everyone is welcome to attend and learn. See the detailed writeup in the current UPDATE.Sxxxxxx11.ee
11. Monday, January 15, is Martin Luther King, Jr. Day of Service at Project Light. Join community volunteers and members of Manatee UU for painting projects at the building at 1104 14th Street W. See details in the current issue of the UPDATE. Call Chris MacCormack if you are able to help. 941 727 5183.
12. Knitting4Peace, MUUF’s new knitting group, starts January 16, 2018, 10-noon. You are welcome to join the fun on the 1st and 3rd Tuesday of each month. Knitting lessons and ideas will be available. See the detailed writeup in the current UPDATE.
13. Meetings/events coming up: Fri. Jan 12 Share a Dish 6PM; Sat. Jan 13 Bridge 1PM; Sat. Jan 13 Welcoming Cong. film 1PM; Sun. Jan 14 “UU 101” Noon; Mon. Jan 15 Great Decisions planning 10AM; Tues. Jan 16 Knitting4Peace 10AM; Tues. Jan 16 Board meeting 6:30PM; Fri. Jan 19 Choir 6PM (note date change)
14. Looking ahead: “UU 101” Jan 14; “Building your Own Theology” Jan 21; Special Meeting Feb 4; SILENT AUCTION Feb 11 and 18; LUNCHEON AND LIVE AUCTION Feb 18.
UNITARIAN UNIVERSALIST ASSOCIATION (UUA) NEWS
Click on www.uuworld.org
for UUA activities, Click on www.uuworld.org