Board of Directors
Highlights of October 27 Board of Directors meeting
by Carol Bartz
Some of the items discussed at the virtually held board meeting were:
- Fred will host a post-election check-in Nov. 4 at 10:00am so that members will have an opportunity to connect with one another. Ted Medrek shared that regardless of the outcome UU the Vote and Side with Love will host a post-election vigil available on Zoom, You Tube Live, and Facebook on Thurs., Nov. 5 at 8:00 pm.
- Fred complimented the worship team on the Sunday services, recognizing that it takes much more time and effort on everyone’s part than during pre-pandemic days.
- Via Zoom Fred led two sessions on the Widening the Circle of Concern, a UUA report regarding racism. A study guide will soon be released which may encourage going deeper.
- Fred reported on the October 22nd meeting via Zoom of Manatee Justice Ministry which five of our members attended. Look for the article in this Update for more information.
- Members will be reminded in the Update to honor their stewardship commitments by sending their checks in to the office.
- During a special board meeting 10/8/20 the decision was made to hire Jody Calder (Lamb) of JP Global Marketing, Inc. to redesign and update our website, working closely with Ted Medrek. Ted reported that Jody has begun the behind the scenes work which will streamline our website and make it more appealing to visitors. Presently our website remains as it has been until the changeover is ready.
- Preliminary discussion of perhaps hiring a video editor to use portions of our services to create outreach videos for YouTube, our website, Facebook, Instagram, etc. was initiated.
- The Committee on Shared Ministry (COSM) will need to be reformed and meeting soon with one of its tasks being to re-evaluate the effect of the pandemic on meeting our five goals and considering whether the goals themselves need to be adjusted along with addressing post-pandemic goals.
- Sandy McCarthy has prepared cleaning materials, markings, and signage on the deck to meet CDC guidelines for the Knitting Group to have a trial in-person gathering on the deck in Nov.
- Due to the pandemic holding our annual fundraiser auction will be a new experience as it will need to be done virtually. Carol Bartz shared some of the ideas Fred and members have passed along and scheduled a brainstorming meeting for all interested on Sunday, Nov. 15 after the Sunday service.
- Bill Hayes and Cindy Evans will move forward with the monthly discussion group on racial issues with the first meeting to be held Tues., Nov. 10. Bill Hayes is also laying the groundwork for Great Decisions to meet via Zoom beginning in January.
- As of 10/27/20 we have raised $840 towards our special collection for the Spanish Community Church to assist with purchase of turkeys for families for Thanksgiving.
- In response to a suggestion that we hold services in our parking lot board members considered the possibility along with details that would need to be addressed. If it is to be done it would most likely be a separate time from our regular Zoom Sunday service.
- Carolyn Denison suggested that MUUF send holiday greeting cards to the churches participating in Manatee Justice Ministry as well as few other local religious organizations of other denominations.
2020-2021: John Isham – President, Carol Bartz – Vice President, Randall Coleman – Secretary, Bill Hayes – Treasurer, Sharon Chofey – Assistant Treasurer. Members at large: Doris Sutliff, Pat Rohrer, AJ Wolff and Sandy McCarthy, Ted Medrek.