Meeting of the Social Justice Committee is at noon after the Sunday Service.
Agenda for the August meeting will include:
1) Acceptance of Minutes of July Meeting:
2) Writers for Social Justice articles:
Barb McCrea – Contact person for September special collection for UPDATE/Bulletin
Bill Hayes – Report to the September Update
Randall – Minutes of August meeting to Board of Directors
Bernita – August Social Justice meeting highlights report for August Update
3) Special Collections—Bill Hayes
July 21 – Hope Family Services – Barb
August 18 – Feeding Empty Little Tummies (FELT) – Carol Bartz
September 15 –
4) Issue of the Quarter: July-August-September – Al asked for suggestions for the next Issue of the Quarter. Possible content: Detention Camps.
5) Climate Change Focus – John Isham:
Fred said we need to pass it before the congregation in order to make an endorsement. But, John said, “Are we endorsing climate change, or are we endorsing a group that endorses climate change?” Fred said we could do either one, but we need to have discussions with the congregation, invite in speakers and study the issue before we decide as a board and take it to the congregation. We don’t have to wait a year for the annual meeting. The board can call a special meeting at any time.
In order to decide that we’re finished with the issue, we need to set a goal. If it’s to get Bradenton to sign on to Ready 100, once that is accomplished, we can move on. If we agree to work with Manatee Clean Energy Alliance and agree to open our doors to them four times during the year to write letters, when we’ve done that, are we finished with them?
The Climate Group, established at the June meeting is John Isham, Bill Dennison, Ed Kobee, Linda Marshall and Carol Alt.
6) Share-a-Dish August 9 Chris: We need volunteers to come to the Share-a-Dish at 5:00 pm to help us set up. Junior Salazar will speak on the detention/immigration crisis. For September or later, Rev. Fred suggests a man who has written a book on Native American folktales.
7) Fair Food Congregation: Joan Butcher met on July 19 with Uriel from CIW, Rev. Fred, Chris, Bernita, AJ, Ed and Al.
8) Announcements and New Business
LWV Hot Topic Monday, Sept 9 Climate Change and 100% Renewable Energy for Manatee County.