Green Sanctuary is a UUA program developed to honor the seventh principle. .
The Re-accreditation Process includes follow up on five of our programs.
1. Religious Education – Discussion Groups for Adults
Recent study and discussion groups include two from the Northwest Earth Institute as suggested by the UUA Statement of Conscience for Ethical Eating.Hungry for Change: Food, Ethics and Sustainability. This six session program met over a period of several weeks and started out with a study of tomatoes grown locally. We became supporters of the Coalition of Immokalee Workers (CIW) which advocates fair pay and fair treatment in the fields. Each year we join other UU congregations in the CIW actions.
Menu For the Future resulted in local visits to our local community organic farm, advocating for labeling of GMO products, and one member started a patio bucket farm.
Congregational Dialogues were held twice a month before the regular Sunday service. Topics have included Economic Inequality, What can we learn from the activities of other UU congregations, Are you buying green bananas, the Single Life, the Bucket List, Creative Living.
Once a month on the third Monday evening of the month, the Social Justice Committee cosponsors with the OCCUPY group for an educational meeting with a film followed by discussion. Films have included Bill Moyers’s DVDs and Oliver Stone’s Untold History series. Recently we with the Peace Education and Action Center, sponsored a production by the Fogartyville Players of Project Unspeakable about the four assassinations in 1968. We also support the Walk to Tallahassee by Rhana in the fall of 2014 to gain attention for legislative action in the Move to Amend the US Constitution.
Once a month Share-A-Dish dinners (2nd Friday, 6pm) are followed by a program – sometimes fun and sometimes serious – about a topic of general interest. When the Social Justice Committee is in charge of the program, we have presented panels, forums or discussion topics on the environment which have included Immigration, Sustainable Agriculture, Water Pollution, etc. All are welcome to bring a dish to share and ideas and questions during discussion. Some of our programs were: Sonic Seas, Jim Willard’s presentation of “The Inconvenient Truth” Sierra Club program on Climate Change.
Second Saturday series
Films included Welcoming Congregation movies, “Food Chains” about the Coalition of Immokalee Workers.
2. Environmental Justice – Sustainable Energy
3. Environmental Justice – Concern for those impacted: CIW, UUSC
4. Environmental Justice – Long term Environmental Justice Project -MCEA
5. Sustainable Living – Maintain Florida Yard Landscape
Original Program 2012
I. Worship and Celebration:
- At the Totem Peace Pole on Earth Day
- Inter-generational Camping
II. Religious Education
- Family and Youth: Children’s Garden, Share-a-Dish Dinners, Geraldson Community Farm.
- RE Adult: Northwest Earth Institute discussion “Menu for the Future. Ethical Eating and Statement of Conscience, DVD “Food, Inc.” Discussion by retired EPA employee. Begin Bucket Farming project.
- RE Adult: Establish a Green Library.
III. Environmental Justice
- A. Sustainable energy in Florida
- B. participate in 350. org events,
- C. Tour Sarasota Florida House exhibiting best green construction practices.
- D. Concern for those impacted by injustice in the community:
- Coalition of Immokalee Workers, Farmworker Education and Support Services Program. Manatee Literacy Council..
- Coalition to End Homelessness: Our Daily Bread, One Stop Center, People Assisting the Homeless (PATH)
- Family Promise
- Crop Walk
- Fair Trade Festival
- E. Long Term Environmental Justice Project: Manasota-88 projects to end plastic bags and protection of water ways from over fertilization
IV. Sustainable Living
- 1. Adopt a Green Purchasing Policy
- 2. Adopt a policy for non-toxic cleaning supplies and recycling
- 3. Maintain our Florida Yard Landscape
- 4. Members take an Energy Efficiency Pledge
- 5. Make the building more energy efficient
- 1. Within the congregation
- 2. Within the community