Manatee Unitarian Universalist Fellowship 1/23/20
HAPPENINGS — 2 Min UPDATE
This “2 Minute UPDATE” will be sent by email every Thursday from the MUUF office. If you have friends who do not receive email, please make this information available to them. The purpose of these weekly emails will be to remind our membership of important events happening at MUUF, in the UUA and in the Bradenton community.
SPECIAL NOTICE for new email addresses:
Karen’s email is email@example.com
Rev Fred’s email is firstname.lastname@example.org
1. Sunday morning coffee hour ~ Thank you to the Worship Team/Audio/Knitters for hosting coffee hour last Sunday morning. Spreading out the work between committees gives everyone a chance to participate. Make it fun! This coming Sunday, the Choir has the privilege of serving ~ preparing the coffee and snacks, setting everything out, and cleaning up afterwards. Thank you for coming forward to help when you see we need some extra hands in the kitchen. Sunday morning coffee hour is an important part of our ministry ~ to our guests and to each other. Thanks to everyone who sees a job that needs to be done and does it, without being asked. Special thanks to Mary Frances Kordick of Team Spotless for giving the coffee pots/carafes a thorough vinegar wash last Sunday.
2. The chalice lighter this coming Sunday is board member Doris Sutliff. The chalice is the primary symbol of the Unitarian Universalist faith tradition. It symbolizes our congregation’s light of truth, warmth of community and fire of commitment to our good work. Thank you, Doris.
3. Prayers of the Community. We are reminded each Sunday of members and friends who are experiencing illness or other life challenges who need our love and care. If you would like a name included, please notify Karen Salzinger, our office administrator. For this week, we hold Beverly Von Holt, Barb & Tom Ehren, Lois Stilley, Joan Stockebrand, Carol Alt, and Ann Rogers in our caring thoughts. All are going through challenges of surgery, illness or transition.
4. Caring cards are available for signing on the table under the TV in the social room. The cards will be mailed weekly. If you know of someone who would appreciate a caring card, please let the office know.
5. Sanctuary art. This month our sanctuary walls are featuring some of the art that will be available for bidding in our Annual Auction February 2-9. Enjoy the Peruvian llama fur rug, framed original paintings as well as prints and nature photography. The print by David Hockney is especially striking as you walk in the front entrance. There are many other works you will be able to view beginning February 2.
- Thank you to John Isham, Carol Bartz and Bill Hayes for presenting an informative program on Climate Crisis following the January 10 Share a Dish dinner. The video of 16 year old Greta Thunberg was especially moving. Special thanks also to Walter Pascal and Carol Bartz for setting up the tables and Mary Frances Kordick and Carol Van Vleet for cleaning up the kitchen afterwards.
7. Thank you to Rev. Fred and Ed Kobee for planning a very special Celebration of Life service for Al Usack on January 11. The sanctuary was full. We heard beautiful music and heartfelt stories from family and friends and saw video images from Al’s life. Thank you to all who brought food for the reception following. It was a fine tribute to our beloved Al Usack.
8. MUUF participated in the launch of “UU the Vote” at a UUA Webinar shown on the social room TV on Sunday, January 12. See UUA President Susan Frederick-Gray’s article in the current issue of UU World and click on the below link for more information.
9. Our monthly gathering at Caddy’s at the Pointe last Friday was smaller than usual which worked out okay because they were hosting their semi-annual live music and dance event and most of Bradenton was there! Crowded and loud. We look forward to a quieter gathering next month. Meet your MUUF friends at Caddy’s on the 3rd Friday of every month at 4:30PM. Come! (801 Riverside Dr. E, Bradenton.)
When: Sun., Feb. 2 (Silent Auction) & Feb. 9 (Silent Auction & Live Auction)
Where: Manatee UU Fellowship
Why: Fun, Fellowship, Finances
This year we have the largest collection of unique social events and items than we have ever had! Thank you to all of you who have offered your time, talents, and treasures. Our goal this year is to enjoy one another and to raise $9000!
We have over 125 items to bid including:
- many special themed dinners at homes, traditional tea, tapas—all done on first come basis on sign-up sheets
- choose sermon topic for Rev. Fred to write & share on Sun. & genealogy research for you by Rev. Fred
- “Stump the Wine Guy,” singing telegram
- membership at Selby Gardens, be a guest at Bishop’s Museum of Science & Nature, tickets to Manatee Performing Arts Center
- Earth Box Growing System
- home maintenance, consultation for a “whole new look” of your living space, cleaning of your home
- canoeing with campfire dinner, Irish sing-a-long with Shirley
- French lessons, bridge lessons, knitting or crocheting instruction, watercolor, acrylic or silk painting lessons, piano lesson, computer help
- 7 different Vera Bradley totes/travel bags, Steve Madden clutch bag
- incredible artwork & jewelry, collectible silver dollars
- gift certificates to local restaurants and businesses
- member-donated gift cards to Pier 22, Mitaka Japanese Ramen House, Riverhouse Waterfront
- your own reserved parking spot
- household items in new or like-new condition
10. Emergency Contact form and the New Membership Information form: If you haven’t already, please fill out these forms and turn them into the office. The forms are on the social room table every Sunday morning. The Emergency Contact form is especially important to have on file for all members. The Membership form will ensure your birthday is announced in the UPDATE newsletter!
11. Meetings/events coming up this week:
Sat. Jan 25 Bridge 1PM Tues. Jan 28 Board Mtg 6:30PM
Sun. Jan 26 Chancel Drama 10:30AM Wed. Jan 29 Mahjong 11AM
Coming Events: Sun. Feb 9 Live Auction; Fri. Feb 14 Share a Dish Valentine’s Day Sing a long
IN AND AROUND BRADENTON
1. MUUF’s award for the MLK Day of Service project will be held this coming Saturday, January 25, 8:30AM – 10AM at West Bradenton Baptist Church southern campus at 1603 17th St W (the corner of 17th St W and 17th Ave W). We will be giving out several hundred hygiene kits at the regular Saturday Downtown Ministries free breakfast. Come to help or have breakfast!
2. Weekly Brady Bayfront Rallies. Every Thursday from now til mid-May, from 4:00 to 5:00 pm, advocates rally to show support for the passage of sensible gun laws. Signs are provided. Bring your enthusiasm and help keep the momentum going. Meet at the Unconditional Surrender statue, Bayfront, Sarasota.
3. EVERY FRIDAY Stand With Our Muslim Neighbors 1:15pm – 2:30pm Islamic Society of Sarasota and Bradenton, 4350 N Lockwood Ridge Rd, Sarasota. Every Friday we hold signs outside the Islamic Society of Sarasota and Bradenton during Friday prayers in a show of support for our Muslim neighbors.
4. For a list of events of Indivisible Groups in Florida’s 16th and 17th Congressional Districts go to http://fl17indivisible.com/calendar.html
UNITARIAN UNIVERSALIST ASSOCIATION (UUA) NEWS Unitarian Universalist Association | UUA.org
UU World magazine. Take time to read the current (Winter) issue of UU World magazine. This issue is jam packed with articles about UU values of multiculturalism and antiracism, UU the Vote campaign, the ritual of the offering, the children’s pages about indigenous Americans, the Extinction Rebellion (XR), responsible investing ~ and so much more. If you don’t have a paper copy, read it online. Go to https://www.uuworld.org/
Unitarian Universalist Justice Florida (UUJF) is our statewide justice ministry that brings Unitarian Universalists and UU congregations together to work collectively for social and environmental justice, guided by our faith tradition and working with public interest groups and interfaith partners who work for the common good. Go to http://www.uujusticefl.org Receive these timely alerts and add your voice by signing up at:
Click on https://www.uua.org/southern for UUA Southern Region news.
Click on https://www.uua.org/southern/blog/walls-and-windows for a good read.
Click on www.uuworld.org and read the UU World magazine online and weekly articles on various topics. Sign up for the UU World’s free email newsletter.