Happenings week starting February 13, 2020
This “2 Minute UPDATE” will be sent by email every Thursday from the MUUF office. If you have friends who do not receive email, please make this information available to them. The purpose of these weekly emails will be to remind our membership and friends of important events happening at MUUF, in the UUA and in the Manatee community.
HAPPENING AT MANATEE UU FELLOWSHIP (MUUF) www.manateeuuf.org
1. Sunday morning coffee hour ~ This coming Sunday, the Board of Directors will have the privilege of hosting coffee hour (disregard the schedule in the February UPDATE newsletter), preparing the coffee and snacks, setting everything out, and cleaning up afterwards. Thank you for coming forward to help when you see we need some extra hands in the kitchen. Sunday morning coffee hour is an important part of our ministry ~ to our guests and to each other. A special thank you to Cori Prout for taking care of the final cleanup in the kitchen after the Auction lunch last Sunday. And to Linda Marshall for taking home the tablecloths to wash.
2. The chalice lighter this coming Sunday is Board member, Finance team member and Team Spotless member Pat Rohrer. The chalice is the primary symbol of the Unitarian Universalist faith tradition. It symbolizes our congregation’s light of truth, warmth of community and fire of commitment to our good work. Thank you, Pat.
3. There will be a special collection this coming Sunday, February 16th, benefiting the Healthy Start Coalition of Manatee County. Lauren Blenker will share how our collection will be used. This is a new organization that we have chosen to fund. So come and meet Lauren as she shares their vision for a “Lactation Lounge” at the Pregnancy Care Center ~ a quiet comfortable place where mothers can breastfeed their infants. We all know the importance of doing all we can to encourage healthy infants.
4. Prayers of the Community. We are reminded each Sunday of members and friends who are experiencing illness or other life challenges who need our love and care. If you would like a name included, please notify Karen Salzinger, our office administrator. For this week, we hold Beverly Von Holt, Lois Stilley, and Laurel Burnes in our caring thoughts. All are going through challenges of surgery, illness or transition.
5. Caring cards are available for signing on the table under the TV in the social room. The cards will be mailed weekly. If you know of someone who would appreciate a caring card, please let the office know.
6. Sanctuary Art: “Ways of Being.” Paintings by MUUF member Peg Green, February 15-March 15. Peg says about these works: “I try to present not the individual’s Identikit features, but something of their inner nature, how they Stand and Live and Be. Every Being has a story, maybe a thousand stories, telling who they are and how they are connected to their world. When you view these portraits, I invite you to look and listen for their stories.”
7. Auction news: Thank you to all who participated in the auction by donating or purchasing items It was a fun afternoon with the delicious lunch prepared by new member and talented chef Todd Borselle and with the competitive bidding in the Live Auction urged on by auctioneer Ed Janz. There is a list of items still available that you may wish to look at to see if there is anything else you would like to purchase. So far it looks as though we are in the ballpark of having raised $7000. Final figures will be available soon. And finally: the auction couldn’t have happened without Carol Bartz at the helm. Thank you, Carol!
8. February’s Share a Dish dinner is tomorrow, Friday, February 14. Bring a dish to share and join your friends at 6PM for a delicious potluck dinner followed by a Valentine’s Day Sing-a-long with Shirley Loebel at the piano. Everyone is invited.
9. Mark your calendar now for our February Caddy’s meetup. Next Friday, February 21, 4:30 PM meet your MUUF friends at Caddy’s at the Pointe for our monthly gathering. It’s a lively and festive place right on the water in downtown Bradenton near Manatee Hospital. Everyone is welcome on the 3rd Friday of every month at 4:30PM. Come and join us! (801 Riverside Dr. E, Bradenton.)
10. Stewardship Cottage Meetings: See Rev. Fred’s letter in the February UPDATE issue. These cottages meetings are a time for us to listen to each other about what supported us this year. Our future as a fellowship depends on your participation. Together we can make our dreams reality. Look for the signup sheets on the table in the social room and choose one of the four dates being offered:
Wed Feb 26 at 4PM (appetizers)
Sat. Feb 29 at 9AM (light breakfast served)
Sat Mar 7 at 9AM (light breakfast served)
Wed Mar 11 at 10:30AM (snacks)
11. Nonviolent Communications workshop Saturday, March 14 at 9AM: If you signed up for the class, you will need to read and study the book so we can have a productive session on March 14th at 9AM. If you wish to keep the book, the cost will be $11. If you want to borrow the book, please do not highlight or write in margins. The borrowed books will be returned to the MUUF Library for members of future classes. See John Steinmeyer if you haven’t received your copy.
12. Thinking of becoming a member of MUUF? On Sunday, March 15, at 11:45 Rev. Fred and the Membership Team will lead a MUUF 101 session in the sanctuary for those who might be considering membership in our Fellowship. If you have been attending services in recent weeks and are searching for a deeper understanding of Unitarian Universalism and this congregation, please join us for an hour of UU and MUUF stories through video and conversation. See the lavendar signup sheet on the table in the social room.
13. Hearing Device Survey: Rev. Fred and the A/V team are investigating an assistive listening system for our sanctuary. Look for the yellow survey sheet on the visitor table in the sanctuary and on the social room table and help us with our research. Thank you for all who filled out the survey last Sunday morning.
14. Emergency Contact form and the New Membership Information form: If you haven’t already, please fill out these forms and turn them into the office. The forms are on the social room table every Sunday morning. The Emergency Contact form is especially important to have on file for all members. The Membership form will ensure your birthday is announced in the UPDATE newsletter!
Want to set up a time to meet with Rev. Fred to have coffee and get to know one another better? You may set up a time by going to calendly.com/fredlhammond <http://calendly.com/fredlhammond> and schedule directly a time and location that works for you. If these times do not work then you may also email directly Rev. Fred at firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange a time and location that works best for you.
15. Reports due: Board reports due in office Wednesday, Feb 19th by 9AM; UPDATE newsletter articles due in office Thursday, Feb 20th by 9AM.
16. Meetings/events coming up this week:
Fri. Feb 14 Share a Dish & Singalong 6PM
Wed. Feb 19 Finance Comm 10AM
Sat. Feb 15 Bridge 1PM
Wed. Feb 19 Mahjongg 11AM
Mon. Feb 17 Great Decisions 10AM
Thur. Feb 20 Our Daily Bread 9am
Fri. Feb 21 Caddy’s 4:30PM
Stewardship Cottage Meetings (see signup sheets)
Sat. Mar 14 Nonviolent Communication workshop
Sun. Mar 15 MUUF 101
REMEMBER: The email addresses for Karen Salzinger in the MUUF office and for Rev. Fred Hammond have been changed. Please make the changes in your contact list: Karen’s email is email@example.com Rev Fred’s email is firstname.lastname@example.org
IN AND AROUND BRADENTON
1. Manatee Justice Ministry: We have been asked to have as many members as possible to commit to observe the Rally and Nehemiah Action in Sarasota. Please, it is important to be able to attend BOTH DATES. The dates are February 17th at 6:30 PM for the Rally held at First Congregational Church in Sarasota and March 23 at 6:30 PM at the Sarasota Municipal Auditorium. We will meet at MUUF and leave here NO LATER than 5:30 PM.
2. Weekly Brady Bayfront Rallies. Every Thursday from now til mid-May, from 4:00 to 5:00 pm, advocates rally to show support for the passage of sensible gun laws. Signs are provided. Bring your enthusiasm and help keep the momentum going. Meet at the Unconditional Surrender statue, Bayfront, Sarasota.
3. EVERY FRIDAY Stand With Our Muslim Neighbors 1:15pm – 2:30pm Islamic Society of Sarasota and Bradenton, 4350 N Lockwood Ridge Rd, Sarasota. Every Friday we hold signs outside the Islamic Society of Sarasota and Bradenton during Friday prayers in a show of support for our Muslim neighbors.
4. For a list of events of Indivisible Groups in Florida’s 16th and 17th Congressional Districts go to http://fl17indivisible.com/calendar.html
UNITARIAN UNIVERSALIST ASSOCIATION (UUA)
NEWS Unitarian Universalist Association | UUA.org
Click on https://www.uua.org/southern for UUA Southern Region news. Click on https://www.uua.org/southern/blog/walls-and-windows for a good read.
UU World magazine. Take time to read the current (Winter) issue of UU World magazine either on-line or in print. This issue is jam packed with articles about UU values of multiculturalism and antiracism, UU the Vote campaign, the ritual of the offering, the children’s pages about indigenous Americans, the Extinction Rebellion (XR), responsible investing ~ and so much more. If you don’t have a paper copy, read it online. Go to https://www.uuworld.org/. Sign up for the UU World’s free email newsletter.
Unitarian Universalist Justice Florida (UUJF) is our statewide justice ministry that brings Unitarian Universalists and UU congregations together to work collectively for social and environmental justice, guided by our faith tradition and working with public interest groups and interfaith partners who work for the common good. Go to http://www.uujusticefl.org Receive these timely alerts and add your voice by signing up at: http://www.uujusticefl.org/action-network/sign-up