HAPPENING AT MANATEE UU FELLOWSHIP (MUUF) www.manateeFuuf.org
Thursday, March 21. 28, 2019
This page refreshes every Thursday. If you would like a copy sent to your email on Thursdays, just tell the office.
1. Sunday morning coffee hour ~ Thank you to the Bridge Group for hosting coffee hour last Sunday morning ~ preparing the coffee and snacks, setting everything out, and cleaning up afterwards. Spreading out the work between committees gives everyone a chance to participate. Make it fun! This coming Sunday, the Choir will have the privilege of serving. Thank you for coming forward to help when you see we need some extra hands in the kitchen. Sunday morning coffee hour is an important part of our ministry ~ to our guests and to each other. Thanks to everyone who sees a job that needs to be done and does it, without being asked.
2. The chalice lighter this coming Sunday is board member Bernita Franzel. The chalice is the primary symbol of the Unitarian Universalist faith tradition. It symbolizes our congregation’s light of truth, warmth of community and fire of commitment to our good work. In recent months the chalice has been lit each Sunday by a MUUF board member. Thank you, Bernita.
3. On Sunday, March 17, following the service, Rev. Fred led a MUUF 101 class which is designed for people who have been attending our services, share our UU values, and are considering joining Manatee UU Fellowship. Shirley Loebel and Lisa Moschin signed the membership book and will be honored at our upcoming New Member Ceremony on April 7th. All new members since April 2018 will also be honored at the April 12 Share a Dish dinner. Welcome, Shirley and Lisa!
4. Sandy McCarthy has taken the place of Bernita Franzel on the board of directors. Bernita had to step down due to family responsibilities. Thank you for your service, Bernita. Welcome, Sandy!
5. In-home dinners ~ On Saturday, March 16, Bob Yavis and Peg & Bill Peruzzi hosted dinners in their homes. The hosts provided the main dish and the guests each brought an assigned side dish. New and old members had a chance to get to know one another better and had a lot of laughs throughout the evening. Thank you, Bob and Peruzzis! Anyone who wants to host an in-home dinner (for 6 to 10 people) please see coordinator Bob Yavis. They are perfect community building activities.
6. Art Exhibit ~ From now through the month of April, Chris MacCormack‘s new silk batik and paintings will be featured in the sanctuary. When Chris was in Thailand, she had the opportunity to learn silk batik painting from a Master Artist. She learned traditional ancient batik techniques bringing home her knowledge to her studio to make her own vibrant creations. AJ Wolff has two paintings in the Social Room painted in memory of her stay in Baja, Mexico, with her Florida whimsical style.
7. The Publicity Committee again reminds the congregation there are “tear off” information pads available in the Fellowship office to help promote Manatee UU in the community. There are 25 sheets to a pad. Each sheet welcomes the reader to join us for Sunday service and gives pertinent information such as address, telephone number, etc. These pads should be helpful to members who want to help publicize and raise awareness of our Fellowship in the greater Bradenton community. See Karen in the office if you’d like a pad to help you in your outreach activities or pick one up at the Visitor’s Table. Also, a new brochure describing Manatee UU Fellowship is now available in the brochure rack next to the Visitor’s Table. Thank you Randy McCrea and Linda Wilke!
8. Want to set up a time to meet with Rev. Fred to have coffee and get to know one another better? You may set up a time by going to< > and schedule directly a time and location that works for you. If these times do not work then you may also email directly Rev. Fred at to arrange a time and location that works best for you.
9. The Annual Meeting will be Sunday, April 7 following the service. The Annual Report booklet will be available to members & friends on Sunday, March 24.
10. Meetings/events coming up this week: Sat. Mar 23 Bridge 1PM; Sun. Mar 24 Choir rehearsal 8:30AM; Mon. Mar 25 Great Decisions 10AM; Mon. Mar 25 OCCUPY 6:30PM; Tues. Mar 26 Chalice Circle 10:30AM; Tues. Mar 26 Board Mtg 6:30PM; Coming events: Sun. Mar 31 Bylaws Q&A; Sun. Apr 7 Annual Meeting & Lunch; Fri. Apr 12 Share a Dish dinner honoring new members.
IN AND AROUND BRADENTON
1. OCCUPY meets at Manatee UU Fellowship the 2nd and 4th Mondays of every month. This coming Monday, March 25, at 6:30 PM the 90-minute film “All Governments Lie — Truth, Deception and the Spirit of I.F. Stone” will be shown. See website for description.
2. Interested in teaching adults to speak English? Project Light Adult English Learning Center in West Bradenton needs volunteer teachers and substitutes, two hours a week, curriculum and training provided. Classes are Monday thru Thursday 9 – 11AM, 6:30 – 8PM. For more information go to firstname.lastname@example.org
3. EVERY THURSDAY Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, Sarasota County Chapter, <> Rally 4-5 PM. Meet at Bayfront Sarasota, just south of the Unconditional Surrender statue. Contact email address for details.
4. For a list of events of Indivisible Groups in Florida’s 16th and 17th Congressional Districts go to
UNITARIAN UNIVERSALIST ASSOCIATION (UUA)
Click on https://www. uua.org for general UUA news.
Click on https://www.uua.org/southern for UUA Southern Region news.
Click on https://www.uuworld.org and read the UU World magazine online and weekly articles on various topics. Sign up for the UU World’s free email newsletter.