Manatee Unitarian Universalist Fellowship 9/19/19
2 Min UPDATE
This “2 Minute UPDATE” will be sent by email every Thursday from the MUUF office. If you have friends who do not receive email, please make this information available to them. The purpose of these weekly emails will be to remind our membership of important events happening at MUUF, in the UUA and in the Bradenton community.
HAPPENING AT MANATEE UU FELLOWSHIP (MUUF) www.manateeuuf.org
- Sunday morning coffee hour ~ Thank you to the Choir for hosting coffee hour last Sunday morning. Spreading out the work between committees gives everyone a chance to participate. Make it fun! This coming Sunday, the Worship Team, Audio Visual, Knitters will have the privilege of serving ~ preparing the coffee and snacks, setting everything out, and cleaning up afterwards. Thank you for coming forward to help when you see we need some extra hands in the kitchen. Sunday morning coffee hour is an important part of our ministry ~ to our guests and to each other. Thanks to everyone who sees a job that needs to be done and does it, without being asked.
- The chalice lighter this coming Sunday is board member Sandy McCarthy. The chalice is the primary symbol of the Unitarian Universalist faith tradition. It symbolizes our congregation’s light of truth, warmth of community and fire of commitment to our good work. Thank you, Sandy.
- Prayers of the Community. We are reminded each Sunday of members and friends who are experiencing illness or other life challenges who need our love and care. If you would like a name included, please notify Karen Salzinger, our office administrator. For this week, we hold Ann Rogers and Linda Wilke in our caring thoughts.
- On Sunday, September 15, we had a large number of first and second time visitors and many stayed for the social hour. Please remember how important it is to make our visitors feel welcome and wanted. Take a few moments to greet a visitor and introduce them to a nearby member. Remember how you felt when you visited MUUF for the first time. Let’s all present a friendly first impression.
- At last Friday’s Share a Dish, Carolyn and Bill Denison organized a letter writing event telling our Manatee County legislators that Manatee UU Fellowship wants Manatee County to sign onto an agreement that would put the entire county on clean, renewable energy systems by 2045 to combat global warming, climate change and sea level rise. Thank you, Denisons!
- NEW! Tomorrow Friday, September 20, 4:30PM. Meet at Caddy’s on the Pointe for early evening fellowship and food if you’re hungry. Celebrate the coming of fall, the return of our snowbirds, the sunset over the river. Let’s make this an ongoing event, every third Friday at 4:30, at Caddy’s on the Pointe. Easy access, good parking, casual. 801 Riverside Dr. E, Bradenton. From Manatee Ave take 2nd St E. to Riverside Dr E to the end. Everyone is welcome! This event is being organized by Carolyn and Bill Denison. Thank you (again) Denisons!
- Last Saturday, Rev. Fred began a six-session live and online course titled Transgender Inclusion in Congregations. The next session will be Saturday 9/28 at 10AM. If you are interested and didn’t get a chance to attend the first session on 9/14, please send an email to Rev. Fred (email@example.com) so he can send you an email with the password for the course.
- Our Daily Bread ~ At last month’s board meeting, the board committed to reinvigorating MUUF’s support for Our Daily Bread, Bradenton’s local soup kitchen, which provides a hot lunch every day of the year to Bradenton’s most needy residents. Manatee UU Fellowship has been volunteering for decades on the 3rd Thursday of every month from 9AM til 11:30AM. If you are interested in participating, John Isham will happily add your name to the list of volunteers. Our next serving date will be Thursday, October 17, 9AM. John’s email is firstname.lastname@example.org
- Do you love to sing? Join the MUUF Choir! Rehearsals begin Sunday, October 6,
8:30 – 10AM in the sanctuary and continue every Sunday morning through April. The choir sings the first and third Sunday of every month beginning Sunday, November 3. Even if you don’t read music well, join us anyway. Joyful enthusiasm is just as important.
- Save the Date! Friday, November 8th, 6PM, The ED Show.
- Want to set up a time to meet with Rev. Fred to have coffee and get to know one another better? You may set up a time by going to calendly.com/fredlhammond <http://calendly.com/fredlhammond> and schedule directly a time and location that works for you. If these times do not work then you may also email directly Rev. Fred at email@example.com to arrange a time and location that works best for you.
- Emergency Contact form and the New Membership Information form: If you haven’t already, please fill out these forms and turn them into the office. The forms are on the visitor table every Sunday morning. The Emergency Contact form is especially important to have on file for all members. The Membership form will ensure your birthday is announced in the UPDATE newsletter!
- Reminder: Friday, September 20th October UPDATE articles due 9AM.
- Meetings/events coming up this week: Fri. Sep 20 UPDATE articles due; Fri. Sep 20 Finance Mtg 2:00PM; Fri. Sep 20 Caddy’s on the Pointe 4:30PM; Sat. Sep 21 Bridge 1PM; Tues. Sep 24 Chalice Circle 10:30AM; Tues. Sep 24 Board Mtg 6:30PM;
Coming event: Sat. Sep 28 Transgender Inclusion in Congregations 10AM
IN AND AROUND BRADENTON
- Last week MUUF’s special collection benefited DOWNTOWN Ministries. Click here to read their latest newsletter illustrating the good works of this worthy organization. Scroll down to see MUUF photo. firstname.lastname@example.org
- #StrikeWithUs. Friday, September 20. Join the Youth Climate Strike in Sarasota,
3:15 – 5PM at the Unconditional Surrender statue at Bay Front Park. Please take photos of MUUF members and send to Bernita Franzel or Karen Salzinger in the MUUF office.
- A plea from MUUF choir director Will Whitehead whose main job is Director of Orchestras, Braden River High School. Will says, “My orchestra program just kicked off a crowdsourcing fundraising via Snap to raise money to replace bows and strings, purchase music, and subsidize travel in the Spring semester. Here’s the link to the page: https://www.snap-raise.com/fundraisers/braden-river-high-school-orchestra-2019 Share this with friends and family and help support Will’s music program!
- EVERY FRIDAY Stand With Our Muslim Neighbors (Indivisible Pro-gressive) 1:15pm – 2:30pm Islamic Society of Sarasota and Bradenton, 4350 N Lockwood Ridge Rd, Sarasota. Every Friday we hold signs outside the Islamic Society of Sarasota and Bradenton during Friday prayers in a show of support for our Muslim neighbors.
- For a list of events of Indivisible Groups in Florida’s 16th and 17th Congressional Districts go to http://fl17indivisible.com/calendar.html
UNITARIAN UNIVERSALIST ASSOCIATION (UUA) NEWS Unitarian Universalist Association | UUA.org
UUA Disaster Relief Fund. Information about the UUA Disaster Relief Fund and other resources can be found here: https://www.uua.org/giving/areas-support/funds/disaster-response
Unitarian Universalist Justice Florida (UUJF) is our statewide justice ministry that brings Unitarian Universalists and UU congregations together to work collectively for social and environmental justice, guided by our faith tradition and working with public interest groups and interfaith partners who work for the common good. Go to http://www.uujusticefl.org Receive these timely alerts and add your voice by signing up at:
Click on https://www.uua.org/southern for UUA Southern Region news.
Click on https://www.uua.org/southern/blog/walls-and-windows for a good read.
Click on www.uuworld.org and read the UU World magazine online and weekly articles on various topics. Sign up for the UU World’s free email newsletter.
To Unsubscribe click here.