Manatee Unitarian Universalist Fellowship
322 15th St W, Bradenton, FL 34205
Speaker: Rev. Dee Graham
Music: Syl Vie. Syl Vee is our guest musician today. Syl Vee was born in Detroit MI and has played professionally since she was 19, but wrote and published her first song at age 15. Syl Vee sings and plays lead, rhythm and slide on acoustic and electric guitar and Ukulele. She interprets folk, alternative, adult contemporary, blues, funk, jazz, R&B, reggae and popular music spanning the styles of the 1930's to now and beyond. Her eclectic repertoire includes original tunes.
This is an annual ritual that celebrates beauty, human uniqueness, diversity and community.
Speaker: Rev. Gary Batey
Music: Weintraub Duo: "Spanish Dance #5" by Granadoes," Siciliana" by Tellemann, "Dance of the Talented Woman" by Ginestera
Special Collection: Manasota 88 by Glenn Compton.This non-profit, volunteer run organization has been working for over 30 years to protect the environment in Manatee and Sarasota Counties. It receives no government or special interest monies or funds from any polluting industries. It works tirelessly to fight water, land and air pollution.
The world’s great religious systems share the assumption that thereis a transcendent “spiritual” reality at the core of existence. They almost always share the assumption of particularity: the idea that the transcendent, spiritual reality surrounding and filling the universe is manifest in particular expressions–as a deity (or deities), perhaps as an individual human, or a group of people, or a specific event, or a special place where “holiness” happens. Unfortunately, the various religions also tend to share the trait of exclusivity, believing that their own particular particularity is the one and only valid manifestation of the transcendent dimension of existence. Obviously, those who espouse an exclusive particularity can’t all be right. Is anybody right who believes that?
Events in May 2016
- Monday, May 9 at 2:00 pm. Book Discussion Group first meeting about the second book: "Being Mortal" by Atul Gawande. It is recommended to read the first three chapters. For information contact Bill Hayes or Mary Lou Thompson.
- Monday, May 16 at 2:00. Book Discussion Group second meeting.
- Monday, May 23 at 12:00. Book Discussion Group third meeting and finishing discussion on the book. Members are welcome to bring sandwiches.
- Monday, May 30 at 2:00. the Book Discussion group will begin discussion on "My Beloved World" autobiography by Sonia Sotomayor.
- Friday, May 13 SHARE A DISH 6:00 pm Gathering and Social Hour. 6:30 pm Dinner -Bring a dish to share and our fulfilling dinner will be followed by a program of education and discussion about the underlying problems in our US Democracy and the Move to Amend.
- Wednesday. May 11 at 6:30 pm. Women's Connection will meet on the second Wednesday of each month in June, July and August. For more information contact Lisa Bohn, Director of Religious Education.
- Thursday, May 19 is MUUF's day to Volunteer at Our Daily Bread at the One Stop Center in Bradenton, feeding the homeless. 9 am to 11:30 am every third Thursday of the Month. A valuable contribution of time and fun besides.
- Saturday, May 7 at 6 pm. Gala festival for Cinco de Mayo. Eating and Dancing! Call the office for reservations or sign up in the Social Hall. See photos in the Albums.
- Monday, May 9 at 7 pm. OCCUPY-Bradenton and the Social Justice Committee will present the documentary “Shadows of Liberty," the story of disintegrating freedoms in the US Media. Doors open at 6:30 p.m. The discussion following usually lasts till about 8:30 -9 pm. This event is FREE and open to the public.
- Monday, May 23 at 7 pm. OCCUPY-Bradenton and the Social Justice Committee will present the documentary “Roadway to Apartheid," the harrowing expose of Israel's unique system of official discrimination. Doors open at 6:30 p.m. The discussion following usually lasts till about 8:30-9 pm. This event is FREE and open to the public.
- Sunday, May 22 at 2 pm Pagan Perspectives Business Meeting, and 4 pm Open Meeting.
- The May In Home Dinners at member homes have been cancelled. The next dinners will be June 25. The sign up list will be in Social Hall in June.
- Thursday, May 19 at 4 pm. Caring Network meeting.
- Fridays, May 6 and 20 at 2:00 pm. Play Reading Group.